Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Goodbye 200 N Dearborn

May 2010
We're closing a chapter of the past year of our lives. This weekend we will move out of our high-rise downtown Chicago apartment. With this move comes lots of excitement and {I've recently noticed} lots of bittersweet moments. I didn't think I was attached to this 850 sqft piece of property we've called home over the last 12 months, but somehow it sneaked right in and stole a little piece of my heart. Here are a few things I will miss about dear ol' 200 N Dearborn:

- Our sweet doormen. Bryant, Danny and Tim have become some of our favorite Chicagoans. I will miss Bryant saying "Hey Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Wilson" in the Dennis the Menace voice when I have a package waiting for me {please note that he is about 6'2 ish and over 200 lbs}. I will miss Matt giving 86 year old Danny a fist bump in the mornings and Danny's sweet kisses on the cheek {for me, not Matt}. And I will miss Tim and his sports talk and keeping us up to date with the building gossip! If I could afford to pay their salaries, I would take them with me to be my own personal doormen at the new place.

- I will miss having 20 washers/dryers to do all of my laundry in less than 2 hours. This was my biggest complaint in the beginning. I HAD to have a washer/dryer in my apartment. It was one of my "sacrifices" when we signed the lease. Now, I'm used to it and I'm going to have to go back to doing one load at a time.

-  I will miss our incredible views from the 42 floor. Being able to see the lake and the sailboats just puts me in a good mood. :)


Things I will not miss about the #4203:
- Chilly morning showers for no apparent reason. That just started the last couple of months - very random, but uncool none the less.

- Waiting for, what feels like forever, an elevator when I'm already running late.

- Sweating in my sleep because I can't control the AC when we get random warm days/weeks between Sept-May.

- The fighting crazy couple across the hall - who have either broken up or are at peace lately, thank goodness. And...lately our other neighbor's ADORABLE little girl that screams every word she says. She's about 3-4 and the cutest little girl, but. she. is. loud. Wow. Ok, so I will miss her! Just not on Saturday mornings...

- I won't miss going from the 42 to the 7 floor to get my laundry. OR what's worse, to go get the laundry room and find out that the dryer you picked is on the fritz and didn't dry your clothes! Grrr. Not cool.  

So, goodbye 200 N Dearborn. You've been good to us. We'll miss you, but it's time to go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment