Sunday, June 27, 2010

Moving Fiasco!

Well...it wasn't horrible but it was a learning experience! I was thankfully at work or I would've had an anxiety attack! Matt is the level-headed one in our relationship! I tend to freak/stress easily. Weird I know. :) Anyway, I already had anxiety about the move b/c I'd never had movers before...we always loaded it up in our cars and made trips back and forth until everything was moved. We can't really do that between OKC and Chicago, so we hired movers. Since the company is paying for it, we decided "What the heck?! Why not have them pack it for us too?!" Well, I found myself wanting to pack things in boxes before the movers came. I was anxious they would walk in and wonder why it wasn't packed & ready to go. Matt just kept telling me "Relax, we got the full packing service. They'll pack it".

WELL!!!!!!! They show up Tuesday morning and A) didn't know we were on the 3rd floor and B) didn't know we'd requested a full packing service!!!!!!!! What the heck?!?! At this point, I think I would've had a meltdown and panic attack but Matt handled it like a champ! He called the guy to sort it all out and basically it was a HUGE miscommunication between the guy who set up our move and the movers. Kind of important details, right?! Ugh. Needless to say, Matt kept the movers hydrated with plenty of Gatorade and ordered lunch for them. I mean, you don't really want to tick off the people moving your possessions! So then, the estimate was WAY off so we owed them more money than we initially thought. For example, the guy quoted us for our kitchen table but NOT our 4 chairs! How do you eat at your kitchen table without chairs?!?!? Seriously?! Again, not a deal breaker since the company is paying for it, but we still had to pay up front until the company reimburses us!

So we've been nomads since Tuesday! We have our airbed, a couple of suitcases and personal items we didn't want the movers to take and we've been trying to soak up as much family time as possible! The movers told us they COULD be in Chicago by next Wednesday (again the vagueness of moving companies is so frustrating!) So we went to Wichita Falls Thursday-Saturday and then we're in Stroud Saturday-Monday.

Crossing my fingers that the delivery goes more smoothly than the pick-up! drama, drama, drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment