Sunday, January 30, 2011

Imogene Jackson

This week, Matt's grandmother passed away. It's been a tough week for everyone and tonight we're flying to OK to celebrate her life on Monday. Thankfully, we spent time with her over Thanksgiving and Christmas. When we found out she wasn't doing so well, Matt was fortunate enough to go home and spend a few days with her and say his goodbyes. I got a text from him telling me that she whispered that she loved me and I can't even tell you how much that meant to me. Grandma was an amazing lady. She treated me as one of her own grandchildren from day one and always made me feel loved and welcome. She was a stubborn, tough firecracker too! Fiercely loyal to those she loved most and she always spoke her mind. I remember going to Landon's high school basketball games and if she didn't agree with the referee, she would let him have it! For the conflict avoider {me}, I was terrified! haha! And then there was politics...whew, she could really get going! :) She would give everyone a lecture at every Christmas and birthday b/c she told us time and again not to buy her anything. Of course we never listened and she would give us that look like we were in trouble.

She loved Steve Spurrier - the South Carolina football coach. To my knowledge, there are no ties to the school, but she just liked him so we would watch and cheer for them when they were on TV. She was famous for her homemade peanut brittle, pickles, noodles and strawberry preserves. I heard rumors that her freezers were stocked full with left overs or food that she refused to waste. She knew how to do so many things and experienced so much throughout her lifetime - sadly, most of which is a lost art with each passing generation. I don't think she ever drove a car, but ironically, had a cell phone the last couple of years in case of emergency. She was her grandkids biggest fan. She was so proud of her kids and grandkids and really left an amazing legacy for all of us.


Liz, Chris, me, Matt, Beth, Grandma, Landon and Jeana - May 2008

Grandma looked so beautiful on our wedding day!

At her birthday lunch last year! 91 wonderful, love-filled years! June 2010

Grandma,
We love you and we're so thankful for all you taught us over the years. I feel so blessed that I was fortunate enough to know you for 5 years. You have raised an amazing family and I know you were so proud of us. Thanks for all your prayers over us and our lives. I know that's why we are where we are now, because you prayed for each of our dreams to come true. I'm sure you don't want us to make a fuss over you, but we're going to brag on you and celebrate you anyway because, well, we never listened to you anyway when you told us not to do something! :) You enriched so many lives and Heaven has gained an amazing lady. Thank you again for your love, encouragement, and values you have passed along to us. We love you now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment