This is a random story {like most of my posts I guess} but I can't stop thinking about it.
Last night, I took the train to see my friends out in the burbs. It was a rush hour train so I knew it would be packed with commuters. I spotted an open seat and wedged myself next to the window with my purse and bag in my lap. Soon after, a man sat next to me and I said hello but it's just kind of an unspoken rule that you keep to yourself unless y'all both want to chat. Everyone's had a long day at work and you just want to relax. So I had my Kindle out and he was working on his computer when I hear, "EXCUSE ME." People are still trying to find seats and the train is about to leave so I just thought this lady needed someone to move their foot or elbow so she could get down the aisle. I kind of turn around as she says "I WANNA SIT HERE." to the guy right behind us. Her tone was just real hateful and short. The guy behind me had already put his earbuds in and his bag was sitting next to him {a no, no on a packed train}. He was automatically defensive which I could TOTALLY understand b/c she was being a real...well...you know...not nice lady. He said "You could've said excuse me" and her reply "I did!" and then she went on to lecture him about how he can't have his bag on the seat b/c it's a rush hour train. His reply "I didn't know you worked for Metra" ... it was totally awkward and my heart was pounding just being near the conflict, but I really wanted to turn around and tell her... "Look lady, maybe you had a horrible day, but you can't treat people like that. You should apologize." along with something else I'm sure would've sounded profound. But, I wanted to live to see my friends so I didn't say anything.
Really though, I was so taken aback by the way she acted. She was in her late 40's or early 50's and she just stopped next to his seat and demanded to sit next to him. It was obvious he couldn't hear her when she said excuse me and instead of catching his attention and asking again or simply saying "May I sit next to you?" or asking to move his bag, she just went off on him! Most people would become defensive and react the way he did so I can't blame him. I don't know what I would've done if I were him, but it definitely would've ruined a part of my night and there's no need for that!
So, to that rude lady, I hope you're having a better day today and I hope I am never in the path of your crazy wrath! Good grief.
No comments:
Post a Comment