Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicago Apartment Living 101

I've lived in apartments before, but there are some obvious differences between Oklahoma apts and Chicago apts (or any big city for that matter). Obviously, apts here are usually more than 4 stories tall and have doormen and elevators instead of stairs and you're lucky if you get a washer/dryer in your unit or at least in your building. But I discovered something else a little different yesterday in my humble little home!

One of the perks of the apt we're renting is that our water/heat & air are all included in our rent. So we never really worry about what the thermostat is set on or how often we're running the air. Our thermostat is also different than any I'd ever seen. It has a dial with a 50-90 degree range but instead of automatically turning on or off when reaching that temp, it just constantly runs. You can change it from low, medium, high or off. Well, we usually keep it at low or medium at all times. This weekend it was pretty chilly so I turned the thermostat up to something in the 70's. Well yesterday, I was getting pretty toasty in our living room. I just thought to myself that maybe it's messed up and it was running hotter than usual. So I turned it back down into the 60s and opened the balcony door and windows to let in some fresh air. Still no relief! When I walked into the bedroom it was quickly turning into a sauna!!! What's going on?!?! Then, I felt the air coming out of the vent in the bedroom. HOT AIR! Still confused, I just turned the whole thing off and figured I would need to have Matt take a look at it.

Fast forward to dinner. I decided PF Changs sounded good so I called it in and walked over to pick it up. (it was yummy by the way.) As I was riding on the elevator, I happened to notice the flyer maintenance had posted "The building has switched over from a/c to heat effective Sept 27. Hello Fall!!!" WHAT?!?!? The whole building switches from air to heat?!? Who knew?!? I just thought we were supposed to change the temp on the thermostat!

Matt just laughed at me like I should've known, but in NO other home, apartment, sorority house, living quarters have I EVER lived in has there been a situation where the entire place just switches from air to heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment