Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Matthew Christopher!!!

Today is Matt's 27th birthday!!! We've been together since he was TWENTY TWO years old!!! (when I put it in that kind of perspective, it sounds so dramatic!)This is our 5th year together (in October-ish) so I've been doing some reflecting over the course of our relationship! We've made this incredible commitment to love and honor each other forever. For-Ev-er. (picture kid in The Sandlot) Time has really flown by, so when I stop and think about how long we've been dating/married it's so bizarre! In a wonderful way!

We were in Wichita Falls visiting my parents (a long time ago...I think we were still dating) and I have no idea what we were really talking about but I just remember this part of the conversation. My Daddy said that he still sees my Mom like she was 18 years old. Of course, as a woman, Mama rolled her eyes thinking "What about these wrinkles?" "My figure is not what it used to be at 18." "My hair is starting to gray." The typical things we, as women, beat ourselves up about. **For the record, my mom looks amazing and I think she's stunning! I hope I age half as wonderfully as she has aged.**Anyway, the point I think Daddy was trying to make is that he sees her through his love for her. He sees her still as the 18 year old girl he fell in love with all those years ago. I thought that was so amazing. And, even though we haven't aged all that much or have near as many years of marriage under our belt, I feel the same way about Matt! I don't feel like we have aged a bit. For the most part, we're still crazy college kids who just happen to go to bed a bit earlier (it's true) but still pull some of the same antics.

Fall of 2005--Stillwater, America

When Matt and I VERY first started hanging out, I thought "No way this will work". I thought he was way too fratty for me and I figured he was just going to take me to a date party or two until he found a different sorority girl to chase. If this had been a few years earlier in his college career, maybe. But God's timing is perfect. He allowed us both to have our own college experiences and to grow up and become more of the people we are today. I think we would've held each other back if we'd met any sooner. Anyway, he swept me off my feet with his charm and the rest is history! For most of you that know Matt on the surface, he is very much the funny guy, always making jokes or being silly. He's usually the loudest person in the room and tends to enjoy being the life of the party--or thinking he's the life of the party. I love that Matt but I also love my Matt. The guy who loves me unconditionally, smiles and shakes his head when I say something dumb, tickles me when I try to get into bed even when I'm beating him to stop, makes me forget that I don't like PDA b/c I forget others are around, dreams with me...correction, teaches me how to dream (sometimes I'm a realist to a fault), and he takes care of me. He's always patient with me and encourages me. He makes me a better person and balances me.

Fall of 2010--I never would've guessed we would be in Chicago! LOVE IT!

I am so thankful God gave me this wonderful man to lead me as my husband and be my best friend!!! Happy Birthday Matthew Christopher! I love you!

Enough with the sappy talk!!! Here's the rest of his birthday week gifts...
Yesterday: a universal remote (we lost the DVD remote somewhere along the way) and cupcakes!
Today: A cardigan he can keep at work for when he gets cold and some awesome brown shoes! They're kind of a distressed leather and I think they'll look great with jeans and a button up shirt when we go out for dinner! :)

1 comment:

  1. To put it in perspective...Landon was 15 years old (a high school freshman and couldn't drive yet), Jeana was 9 (a 3rd grader!) when the two of you began seeing each other! Weird!

    ReplyDelete