Monday, September 13, 2010

So, I'll admit...I've got the fever...

Before you rush out starting any rumors, let me clarify! I've been having pet fever. Just wanting a little buddy to keep me company while Matt works late into the evenings (or in this instance...all weekend. boo! but they're closing a new deal so I guess I'm happy that the business is going strong!)

I think our friends back home thought we hated dogs/animals. Not true. We just didn't jump on the "gotta get a dog b/c it's the next milestone" bandwagon. No offense. It just seems like people get married and then think, now we need a dog to practice taking care of something before we have kids. Not to mention, we couldn't squeeze the cost of maintaining an animal into our budget. Anywho...for the record. Matt and I LIKE animals!

I like dogs, but given our current living situation, I do NOT want to take a dog down 42 floors and around the block to pee when it's 20 below here in Chicago. No thanks. Plus, I like bigger dogs like goldens and that just wouldn't be fair to keep one cooped up in an 850 sq ft apt without a yard to run and play in every day. Lots of people in our building have dogs and I pet them when we're in the elevators, but there's one in particular that breaks my heart. An obese wienie dog. Bless her heart, her eyes look so sad when she looks at you. As if to say "Help me! I'm miserably fat and my little ankles hurt from holding all this weight." And...she stinks. Sorry, it's true.

I also like cats. For some weird reason, most of my friends have this weird hatred against cats like they are the scum of the earth. And I also think people have this mental screw lose that you can't like both dogs and cats. You. Must. Chose. I disagree.
I had BOTH growing up and I like both. I may even venture to say I lean more to liking cats more than dogs but it's probably due to two things. I don't like being slobbered on and I don't like to hear constant barking. Our dog was a sheltie and she wasn't a licker or a major barker. She went deaf in her later years and would bark randomly b/c she thought she heard something but it wasn't a yippy annoying bark. The cats I grew up with were always good cats. No horror stories of scratching or hissing at me. I like that cats can pretty much take care of themselves. They will come snuggle with you but they aren't all over you all the time. You can leave for the weekend and they can survive just fine without needing to ask someone to care for them. Cats just fit more into our lifestyle right now.

Well, I find the local PetCo and there are some ADORABLE cats up for adoption. CUTE! I stick my finger into the little holes and they purr and rub up against the cage. So I call Matt and confess and ask him what he thinks. Matt (after 5 years together and constant trips home to my parents house w/ 3 cats) tells me HE. IS. ALLERGIC! What?!? Apparently, he keeps eye drops at my parents house for it but I just thought he had dry eyes. I think it's boloni!!! Also, our lease states no pets. :( I could probably talk our landlord into it but I decided against it. I got to thinking about it last night and we'd have to find a place for a litter box, find a vet, etc etc. So I put it on hold and went to Plan B.

So...for $3.99 I ended up with this little beauty! Introducing Beau!



He's the newest addition to our family! I can't pet him but he's pretty fun to watch. He was the most fiesty one at the pet store. So for now, I'll just enjoy everyone else's pets! :)

4 comments:

  1. awwww....he is sooooooo cute!! he is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Cats are evil little creatures

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a dog to keep me company while Ty is in med school. Probably the best thing we have done for our marriage ever. :) The doxie story cracks me up! That is what we have. He is such a good dog--no barking, but he is a licker. It can be pretty annoying, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

    ReplyDelete