Sunday, November 7, 2010

Confession...

I would really love to LOVE to cook. I just don't...yet. I feel like saying that makes me a bad wife and a bad future mom, but it's true! I'm determined to develop some sort of a love of cooking though. Maybe it will come with time. Or practice. I spent some time browsing online today for inspiration and recipes. I envy Pioneer Woman and the way she makes it all look/sound so easy. Here's what I think is holding me back:

*When I look at recipes, it stresses me out. I've made a list of all the things I need to get at the store to make about 4 things, and it is literally 2 columns long on a piece of 8x10 paper! Granted, some are things I hope will be useful for other recipes, but I'm hearing cha-ching in my head when I think about checking out at the register. :/ {this could also be partially due to the fact I haven't been to the store in a few weeks}

*I'm not comfortable in the kitchen. I think I need to force myself to have a "go with the flow" mentality while cooking.

*I don't like messes. That being said, I'm not a "clean freak". It's just that lots of ingredients and/or cooking things that require multiple dishes to be used is not ideal to me. A pile of dirty pots and pans to clean makes me wonder if it was even worth the mess. {This is also what makes me nervous about my ability to be a good mother. Messes=stresses for me. HEY! I titled this entry, "confession". Don't judge me. :) }

*Dinner for 1. During the week, I'm usually on my own for dinner. I don't have a hungry boy to help me eat what I've cooked. I'm not always great about eating leftovers and when the weekend comes around, I'm usually ready to go out to eat.

*I'm a procrastinator/impatient. I lack the foresight to start cooking before I actually get hungry. All of a sudden, I'm starving and I want to eat ASAP! This usually leads to a bowl of cereal, a grilled cheese or something I can cook quickly in the microwave.

So...here we go. I'm starting small and easy. I'm plan to try a few new recipes. A chicken, rice, broccoli dish; jalapeno & cheddar cornbread; taco soup and maybe a somewhat homemade pizza. Not all for the same meal of course. Oh and I decided I'm making puppy chow this week too. Just for kicks b/c I always crave it around this time of year!

3 comments:

  1. I don't like to cook either. I've managed to become more confident and can get the job done, but it's my least favorite thing to do! Crock Pot recipes are great because you start them in the morning and it's ready when you get home!

    Three kids in, and messes still stress me out...so I pick up toys at naps and they clean up before bed (the older two). You learn to let things go, little by little, but still keep a degree of sanity by cleaning often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soups are easy things to fix, crock pot stuff, spaghetti isn't too hard, and I too forget to think ahead when it comes to cooking....I get hungry (actually as I type I am hungry) and then I want something right now!!! hehehehe hang in there and um...the thought of you not being a good mother is ABSURD! I rebuke that idea!!! :-) love you sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I am sure you are expecting a comment on cooking, but I could be as bad as you, so I don't have much to say on that area. What I would like to comment about is that you are quit an amazing blogger. I am impressed. After, hearing from Yossi so many times how much she loves to read your blog, I decided to give it a try, and I think I am hooked like her. Your stories make it easy to picture your life right now and their even funny. We miss you a lot and hope we get to see you at Thanksgiving and Christmas! I am glad you are happy! Xoxo Ivonne

    ReplyDelete