Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cooking Update!

Ok, so I should probably clarify that I do cook. I cook really easy stuff, but I want to learn to be more comfortable in the kitchen...maybe make something from scratch or enjoy cooking fancier, more "impressive" meals. :) During our first year of marriage, I cooked pasta so often that Matt actually suggested that we try branching out b/c of all the carbs. haha!

After blogging my last post, I ventured over to the grocery store. I decided to drive b/c I now know of a couple of stores that have free parking and since I had procrastinated until just about every last edible thing was gone, I couldn't carry everything like I normally do. :) The grocery store was swamped...that's what I get for going on a Sunday evening.

Anyway, I decided to make a chicken, broccoli and brown rice dish. It was delicious! However...it. was. messy. The recipe said to put some veggie oil in a pan and cook the chicken for about 10-12 minutes until it was brown on either side. Well, the oil went EVERYWHERE. I mean, the floor was slick, splatter was all on the stove top, bar, places I didn't think it could get to {see story below}. I know what you're thinking...you used too much oil. I measured exactly what it said to use. 1/4 of a teaspoon. I took a few deep breaths and told myself "it'll be ok. This is normal to the cooking process." But of course, I get the 409 out and start cleaning the part of the stove that isn't in use. I know. I'm lame!



Look at all of that! Gross.



The final product! Not sure it will be a frequent meal at the Wilson home, but I'll make it again for sure! When I forget how messy it was. :) Mom, can you believe I actually cooked broccoli and I ate it too?! I know you thought the day would never come.

Today, 2 days later, I noticed our fish was looking a little sad. I peered into his bowl {behind the 409 in the picture above} and noticed an awful film on the top of the water. It was like the BP oil spill hit my poor fish's tank! I'm telling you, the oil splattered everywhere! I felt so bad for the little guy. We'll see if he survives...

Tonight...I made pizza. Not gonna lie, I just bought the Pillsbury pizza dough and threw on the ingredients. Someday I might actually make the crust. Not today though.

3 comments:

  1. For future reference... ( I learned the hard way)- They make a thing that is mesh, but it's flat that you can put on the top of your pan to stop the platter :) Helps with the mess, and they have handles! Food looks good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well even though my dad would HIGHLY discourage this...Juanita (the housekeeper) she puts newspapers all over the stovetop around where she is frying something and then just throws the paper away. The stove is basically just like what you all have...like I said my dad would die if he ever saw it but it seems to work and thus far Juanita hasn't caught anything on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you bethanne! It looks super yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete