Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Luvya Dubya"

When I was in college, a group of my sorority sisters made shirts in support of President George W Bush for the 2004 election. The beautiful and classy First Lady, Laura Bush, and his twin girls were fellow Theta sisters {an added perk, not my sole reason to vote for him} and I just remember being so excited to vote for that man. It was my first Presidential Election to take part in and so there was that excitement of fulfilling my civic duty. Since then, I'll admit, I've become a little jaded. Politics can be ugly and the media usually makes me annoyed and disgusted with both parties when it's all said and done. But during that election, I felt GWB was the right man for the job. I admired and respected him for the things he had to do during his time in office. He had to deal w/ September 11 right out of the gates. I still admire and respect that man, and I can't wait to read his new book. I think he is a wonderful man who had an incredibly difficult responsibility to make decisions that none of us could ever imagine doing if we were in the same shoes.

Proud Papa of his little girls! I think we forget that our Presidents are also PEOPLE with personal lives and family.

Awwww...they love each other and they are just adorable!

He came and spoke at the 2006 Oklahoma State spring graduation and as an OSU grad, I was a little bummed that I had graduated just one semester shy of sitting out there in my cap and gown. I was in the audience though listening to our President encourage my fellow classmates to go out and do great things! Matt and I even sent them a wedding invitation to our wedding! I stole the idea from a dear friend who got married the year before us. Of course, we didn't expect him to attend, but I was so excited when we got a little note from the White House a few months later congratulating us on our special day! I'm not sure if every President does that, but if you're getting married, it's worth a shot!

He's been out of the spotlight since leaving the White House and I love that he doesn't criticize President Obama. He speaks through his actions. He knows the "Leader of the Free World" is always going to have critics and he chooses not to treat people in a way that he wouldn't want to be treated. The Golden Rule. I've been watching his appearances as his book hits the shelves this week and I think he is so genuine and charming. He is honest and it is refreshing. I really don't know why people don't like him. He said something on Oprah {& something similar when talking to Matt Lauer} and I just think that no matter what your political stance is, we can all agree on this statement: "If you chase popularity, you're chasing something that is just a fleeting moment, but principles last forever."

Luvya Dubya

**Note: I am not a hugely political person and I don't like debates. I try to pay attention to the issues, but until people in office can get over themselves, I'm not sure we'll really get anywhere. I feel that government is getting too big and people have lost their sense of personal responsibility.**

2 comments:

  1. I luv Dubya too! I agree with EVERY word of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post doll! love it! and i wanna frame that pic of him with the twins and put it in my house...

    ReplyDelete