Sunday, November 14, 2010

Girls Night Out

Friday night, Matt had a dinner obligation for work so I was on my own. Marisa, my sweet new friend I made at work, graciously invited me to tag along with a few of her girlfriends to go see The Social Network. I was so excited to finally have plans with girlfriends that I have met here in Chicago!

Marisa and I started at the law firm on the same day. She was so warm and friendly so of course, 5 minutes into our orientation training, I knew we were going to be fast friends! As we were small talking, we found out we're birthday twins...well sort of. She's exactly a year older than me! I knew I liked this girl, a fellow April 9th gal! :) She's from Chicago originally and just moved back after spending the last couple of years in DC. After DC, she spent a few months in Africa teaching English. Now she recently found a roommate that is an exchange student from Iran. I mean really, one of the friendliest people ever! She's much more cultured than me, and I admire her for her adventurous spirit {much like my awesome sister in law}! Uprooting and moving to Chicago will probably be my biggest adventure and I'm ok with that! I like roots. I do hope that many travels are in the Wilson future, a week here and a long weekend there. :)

So Marisa and I grabbed a latte and met up with her girlfriends at the movies. We went to see The Social Network. I thought the movie was good! Call me naive, but I had no idea that Harvard was really that "uppity". I mean, I know it's Ivy League and a big deal to go there, but the "formal clubs" and the pompous Harvard row suit jackets {you know, with the gold trim and "H" on the chest}. ugh. It gave me an icky feeling that people get so caught up in that world. I would not fit in at all. Maybe Hollywood fluffed it a little for the movie?! It made me thankful that I grew up in Texas. In a family that appreciates the little things and works hard, not necessarily for money, but because it's what you do...have a good work ethic. I didn't grow up in a mansion and my first car was a really old, boxy Chevy blazer that I loved and still miss sometimes! Anyway...off that soap box. I really did like the movie!

After wards, we went out for a drink and chatted for quite awhile. The girls were so nice and I had a great time! We talked about lots of things and somehow, accents came up. They think I have one and I don't hear mine. In fact, I feel like I lost it since I haven't lived in Texas for years now. Matt says it comes out when I talk to my family, but I don't hear it. Likewise, they don't hear their "Midwest" accents. So we started talking about words that sound different to me. Best example, Wisconsin. Most people up here say it like Wiscahhhhnsin. That's the best way I know to spell it. When I pronounced it, they tried to say it like me and finally said "That doesn't sound right, it's too much emphasis on 'con'." I feel like it's too much work to say WisCAAAHHHHHNNNsin. haha agree to disagree!

It was so fun to connect with some girls and have a night out in Chicago with some true Chicaaaagoans! :) Pretty sure Matt is thankful for Marisa too b/c now he doesn't have to suffer through all of the chick flicks I want to go see. You're welcome honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment