Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

The countdown is on for Thanksgiving weekend!!!! I could care less about the food, which to some, is probably a blasphemous statement, but I've never gone crazy over turkey and pumpkin/pecan pie. I just can't wait to see our family and friends! We fly home Wednesday night and will be in TX Thursday through part of Friday and then OK for the rest of the weekend! I'm ready to hug necks and just spend quality time with the people we love most!

Matt and I went walking around Chicago this weekend for a special project, and I was just blown away by the beauty of fall. I always rolled my eyes as a child when my mom and grandma would talk about the changing leaves. I always thought it was so lame. Oh how the times have changed! These last few years, I can finally appreciate the beauty in the changing of seasons and fall has crept into my heart as one of my favorite seasons. I just look around in awe of God's creation. Really, I don't know how people don't believe in God. I just don't believe that nature came up with all of this on it's own. So here are a couple of pictures from today's trip over to the park.




I LOVE the contrast of the skyline and the gorgeous trees! They were even more vibrant in person! Beautiful. Oh and those people in the bottom corner are looking at the ice skating rink down below! Matt took me ice skating on our first "official" date in OKC. :) I remember smiling/laughing the WHOLE time and loving every second. Oh and the fact that he didn't tell me we were going skating and I wasn't wearing socks that day. He gave me his socks and went without {ewww!}! What a true gentleman.

So the special project...Flat Hunter. Matt's mom is a 3rd grade teacher and she has her students make a little cut out of themselves and send it to family members that live somewhere other than Stroud. Then, they take pictures and write in the journal and send it back for show and tell. I think it's great b/c it's a way for these kids to essentially go on field trips all over the place! Well, this little boy lives with his grandmother and just simply didn't have anyone who would show Flat Hunter a good time! We were so excited to show Flat Hunter around Chicago! He got to see the downtown Christmas tree {even though it's not lit yet...}, Chicago Theatre, Michigan Ave, The Bean, the train, Wrigley and the ESPN College Gameday bus. I think he had a blast and so did we! We got a couple of strange looks, but after explaining what we were doing, they loved the idea.
As I was editing the pictures I came across this gem! The sign says "Thank Wilson". How crazy is that?!? We were so focused on getting quick pics that I wasn't even paying attention to what the sign said. The Northwestern/Illinois game was going on at the time and it was a madhouse around the ballpark!

Can't wait to put all of the pictures into Flat Hunter's journal so the real Hunter can show his classmates Chicago! My educational husband already told me we need to be sure to put in some historical facts about the places we saw. He's a true teacher's son, thanks Beth! This will surely come in handy when we have kids someday! Hopefully, they'll take after Matt and be valedictorians! :) smarty pants.

1 comment: