Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Rollers Trip to Chi-town!

So a few months ago, our good friends James & Joanna Roller booked their trip to spend the 4th of July in Chicago with us! We had been talking about it for months and I can't believe they've already come & gone...I can't wait for them to come back! Jo & I did some serious shopping and we all had a GREAT time! Despite not having furniture for the first half of their visit! They sure are troopers though & we're forever grateful for their help unpacking & keeping us sane!

You may remember my earlier post about the "Moving Fiasco"...well it didn't get much better, but I suppose all is well that ends well, right?! Matt & I are still married (it was touch & go there for a moment! haha!) and most of our things made it through the move without a scratch. Notice, I said most things! RIP: lamp, salad bowl, monogrammed plaque, salad spinner, chair...We left for Chicago last Monday since our contact with the moving company said they "might" deliver our things on Wednesday. Wednesday came & went and then Friday became the next day thrown around in the conversation with the liars...oops... I mean movers! No, I think I still mean liars. So...I came to the harsh reality that we needed to get extra towels/pillows/bedding for our guests b/c we were using the airbed that we'd bought for them! My dear friend, Lauren, comes to the rescue! She lives about 30 mins away & had a spare airbed, towels, sheets, everything we needed to get by until our things arrived! Lauren, you were a LIFEsaver! Thank you so much! (PS: I need you to teach me how you fold fitted sheets, b/c you apparently know some secret I don't!)

So...we picked up James & Jo from the airport Friday morning. By that I mean, we rode the train out to meet them! :) We walked around & shopped most of the day on Friday. We finally heard from the movers Friday afternoon and good news! They were coming Saturday but wait! All the earlier move in times for the elevator were already we had to pay extra for them to deliver at 7pm on a Saturday since that's "after hours". Grrr, so we paid them b/c well, you really have no choice. They have your stuff!

Once that was done, we continued our wonderful weekend with the Rollers! We took them to Giordano's to experience Chicago style pizza, shopping on State St & Michigan Ave (I must find employment ASAP!), the beach, Navy Pier, the Bean and Gibson's steakhouse! Whew! And we still didn't get to do everything we planned on doing but it was a great start and that just means they'll have to come back to cross everything else off the list! :)

Willis (aka Sears) Tower. I haven't figured out how to turn the picture! Sorry!


Best shopping buddy ever!


Waiting for our pizza outside Giordano's! You order your pizza before you get seated b/c it takes THAT long to cook it! Worth it.


The boys enjoying their cigars out on the sundeck.


At the beach! We scoped it out and decided to go back the next day! Lake Michigan is beautiful!


We learned how to make our own lounge chairs out of sand! How did I never think of this before?!?


OK, Lake Michigan is beautiful but C.O.L.D! We saw all these people swimming around like the water was great, well its NOT! It took us about 20 minutes to inch in up to our waists. It really does get better & you get used to it, but, WOW, it was chilly!


Out at Navy Pier, I just love the skyline view from the end of the pier!


The boys standing over the grates looking "buff"! I show you this picture to say to the ladies, be careful where you walk in Chicago, ESPECIALLY if you're wearing a dress! I experienced my latest "Most Embarrassing Moment" after dinner the other night. We're walking back from Gibson's just chatting having a grand time when all of a sudden, my dress is up around my waist!!! I scream & everyone across the street turns to see what's going on! I had just flashed poor James who was walking behind me. Little did he know he was going to get quite the show! All I could do was laugh b/c really, it was pretty hysterical! I did NOT look as graceful as Marilyn Monroe, I can guarantee that!


The infamous "bean"! This thing is really cool when you see it!



Laying on a blanket waiting for the fireworks!

James & Jo, we had the BEST time with y'all! I can honestly say we're like family, if we weren't before, we sure are now! haha! Can't wait for our next trip together! You're always welcome to come stay with us! Love you both to bits & pieces!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh to be young again. You guys are having a blast. I'm soooooooooo JEALOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete