Friday, August 27, 2010

And so it begins...

I knew it would come to an end...the greatest of all "summer vacations". It's been a great time of self inflicted unemployment, but I have officially started job hunting. Boo. Not really because of the money... although extra cash is always welcome! {PLUS. I'm seeing some GREAT fall sweaters/jackets that I would love to own and I would feel better about it if I were bringing home a little bacon too! Hey, this blog is all about the honesty.} but more because I need something to fill my day. Matt has been wonderfully patient and hasn't rushed me in the slightest, which I love him to death for being so amazing. But he also works, a lot. 10-12+ hour days usually.

I know I live in this amazing city and I haven't even made a dent in the "Things to do" department, but I can only enjoy it so much when I'm by myself. I want to explore the city with Matt so my weekdays are beginning to get a little mundane. AND...I desperately want a new way to meet people! I have made some really great friendships in my past work experience so I'm looking forward to going to lunch with a new co-worker or finding out someone's favorite coffee drink and surprising them with it just b/c I'm such a fun person to work with! :)

One thing though. I HATE JOB HUNTING. I HATE everything about it. Updating my resume, searching endlessly online, reading job descriptions that are filled with obnoxious words and more fluff than anything, writing cover letter after cover letter, wondering if/when I'll even get a call about a job, wondering if they even looked at my resume (I hate that everything is online now...), the anxiety before an interview--I tend to sweat profusely or give myself a stomach ache. Sorry, it's true. It doesn't help that I don't really know what I want to do. It seems like everyone else knows what they want to do, they've got a direction. "I've always wanted to teach." "I want to be a doctor/lawyer." "Investment banking is my passion." well...good for you! I don't have a CLUE! After a college degree and 4 years in the real world, I think I know less about what I want to do for employment! ha! I have ideas sometimes, but then I go back and forth. I've never been super career driven, gotta get to the top of the ladder, kind of person. I admire people like that, Matt is that way. Maybe it's just not in me.

Anyway, I went to a staffing agency today. They seemed really positive and upbeat about finding something for me, and since I don't really know anyone here, I figure it's worth a shot. So, wish me luck! Here goes nothin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment