Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dinner for one...

OK. I don't want to hear it if I turn out to be a bad cook! After 2 years of "cooking" for Matt & I, it's back to just me. Which I like. GASP! There I said it. It's not that I don't like cooking, I've just never been that comfortable in the kitchen. I'm not a horrible cook, I'm just not very adventurous. I'm pretty by the book with recipes and once I figure out how to cook something, it's on a rotation and will be cooked frequently! My family ate together, but I was always so picky (my mom almost died the other day when I told her I cooked and ATE asparagus!) and my dad isn't a big eater so Mom (bless her heart) usually ended up cooking a couple of different things for us. She's a great cook, but we always went for quick and easy meals, nothing fancy. And, there were only 3 of us so we didn't need much of a meal.

Then, I marry Matt. He's from a family of 6 and well, he's a boy. He was used to eating big meals that require more than a microwave! I think I did pretty well over the past couple of years and well let's face it, he cooked quite a bit too! He's a great cook and managed to throw spices together to make something fabulous!

Matt's new job has been keeping him at the office until 8 every night on average. They usually expense dinner which means I'm typically on my own. I feel like I'm back in college when I was living by myself. I can eat whatever I want and not have to worry about making sure it has enough meat for him. I like meat but I don't need it in every meal. haha I think it's a guy thing. PROTEIN! I'm more of a "snacker" if you will, I like cereal for dinner or just ice cream every now and then. Don't get me wrong, I miss having dinner with Matt on a daily basis, but I still have the weekends. And for the time being, we have lunch dates every now and then! I'm sure it will slow down too and he'll get to come home earlier. But for now, I'm enjoying my glass of wine or my bowl of cereal, or baked potato!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, sweets! Take it from a "work widow', you find joy anyway you can. I liked being able to watch what I wanted to watch, or eat what I wanted to eat, or not having to hold a conversation if I didn't want. But all of that just made the time together more precious and more enjoyable. You must NEVER feel guilty for doing and feeling whatever you do and feel, because it is your way of making a bad situation into a good one. And that my precious daughter-in-law, keeps your marriage and your sanity whole!!!! I found it funny that Matt sent his dad a text the other night to see if he was home. He wanted to see if he (Matt) had beat his dad home!!!!!!!! Matt won!

    ReplyDelete